Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mayflies on the Window Screen


Well, it is Definitely spring time AND fishing season - officially by state reg.s anyway, despite a lot being open year round. Why?

There is a Mayfly on my window screen! Now that is God telling me it's time to fish! And you know what is odd about this? I have no creeks, rivers, or real lakes around my house to fish. There are entryway ponds at a housing development a 1/4 mile away, another pond that is just a persons personal pond and sort of a swamp, mainly for drainage runoff collection, an 1/8 mile away, but other than that, nothing.

Besides the excitement of being blessed with this insect gracing my house, why make a deal of this? Because it is time to start matching the hatch for sure! I believe this one to be a Blue Wing Olive. If I had fishing opportunities around my house, this is what I'd be tying on.

So pay attention to the guides and river reports, use their knowledge to match the hatch. And if you don't get that info ahead of time, take a half hour of your morning to look at the evidence of what is hatching, like the grass, bushes, rocks, for carcasses or shucks, etc. Pick rocks out of the river bed and check what's clinging to them. Then try yo match the hatch and go fish.

Or, if your lucky like me, check your window screens...........8^)

No comments: