Sunday, March 18, 2007

Cady Lake

We had a great time at the Cady lake OSLCFFM outing on Saturday. Don, Paul, Brad, Jerry and I made the short hop on over to the lake. The weather when we left Tacoma was good; Cloudy and about 50 degrees, no wind. Jerry said to bring rain gear and be prepared for wind. I was a little skeptical, it was perfect fishing weather as we started out. Once we got there the wind was whipping on the lake. We got there about 930 am and got all of the pontoons and float tubes unloaded. Paul was unloaded, rods together, waders on and pontoon loaded all in about 6.7 seconds. He was itching to get on the water. Brad on the other hand put together 4 or 5 rods loaded his pontoon put on his waders and it took about an hour. Jerry, Don and I were somewhere in between.

We had a short devotional and prayer and we hit the water.

I paddled my brand spankin' new pontoon out on the water, it was awesome! I was about half way across the lake and I decided to troll a nymph. I cast the fly and it got caught in my net on the back of my boat. As I was trying to get untangled the wind blew me back to the shore where I started. I started out again and finally made it to the other side of the lake. Fish were rolling and jumping. It seemed like when they started to roll on the surface the rain wasn't far behind. It rained pretty good on and off for the whole day. Paul caught the first fish on a dry fly. I was back at the vehicle getting some of the stuff that I forgot to pack in the boat. I needed my dry line. I fished all around the area and only had one bite on a dry fly, my speed stimulator. It looked awesome in the water. Very buggy. Brad caught the second fish on a dry nymph. After fighting the fish and Paul getting into position for a great picture, Brad decided to do a LDR (Long Distance Release). Oh well. Jerry had a great take and unfortunately missed it. Don, finally got one at the launch on a wooley bugger.

When we were loading the sky's opened up and the rain poured down. We had a great dinner with lots of laughes on the way home.

Fly fishing in my pontoon with 4 other guys in their boats on a small lake has to be one of the funnest times that I have had. You are fishing with 4 guys, but you are also fishing all by yourself. It is a great time to reflect and think about life. You can fish where you want to, but you are still with friends. I got some great casting practice yesterday and don't have any regrets about not catching fish.

Thank you God for giving me the privilege of being with such great friends and brothers fishing, laughing, learning and experiencing Your Great Outdoors.

'till we fish again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.